Main Content


Here is the list of LOCAL services available to children and youth working through mental health and/or substance use issues. We will add to and expand this list, so please check back for more information. NOTE: Anyone, including children and youth, can SELF REFER. This means that you can seek help from an agency or counsellor without a formal referral from a doctor. Pick up the phone, or walk through the door and ask. It takes courage, but the people on the other side of the desk are waiting to help you.

The list below is for people in ALL communities. For Community specific services, see below (links coming soon).

Community Agencies

Carrier Sekani Family Services -
250-567-2900 - 240 West Stewart Street, Vanderhoof
Provide Aboriginal Patient Liaison, Addictions Recovery Program, Aboriginal Supported Child Development (Vanderhoof and Burns Lake), Best Beginnings Outreach Program, Bridging to Employment, Canadian Prenatal Nutrition Program (On Reserve), Community Linkages (Soup Bus), Early Years Hub (Vanderhoof), Family Empowerment Supported Visit Program, Family Preservation and Maternal Child Health (On Reserve), Family Support (Urban Prince George), First Nations Health Benefits/Patient Travel, Foster Family Resources Delegated Child Welfare Services, Guardianship and, Voluntary Delegated Child Welfare Services, Health and Wellness Counselling Program, Highway of Tears, Violence Prevention, Support and Awareness Program, HIV Aids Coalition, Home Care, Intensive Family, Preservation Services, Mediation and Family Justice Services, Mobile Diabetes, Nursing, Primary Care, Youth Services.

Nechako Valley Community Services Society -
250-567-9205 - 157 W Victoria St, Vanderhoof
250-996-7645 - 349 Stuart Drive, Fort St. James

NVCSS is a registered non-profit social services agency, established in 1977, that provides support, education and empowerment to individuals and families to enhance independence, confidence and wellness, respecting the diversity within our communities. Funding for our programming is received through several Federal, Provincial, and private organizations and foundations. These include, the Ministry for Children and Family Development (MCFD), Community Living British Columbia (CLBC), BC Housing, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.

Services provided at NVCSS include Mental Health and Counselling, Family Development Programs, Support to Foster Parents, Community Living BC Programs, Mobile Work Crew, Homeless Outreach and Prevention Program, Infant Development Program, Community Action Program for Children (CAPC), Riverside Place Senior’s Residence, Vanderhoof Seniors Connected & Better at Home, Meals on Wheels / Lifeline, Victim’s Assistance, Children Who Witness Abuse Councelling, Youth Justice.

Ministry of Family and Child Development -
250-567-7273 (Vanderhoof)
250-996-7148 (Fort St. James)
Child Protection (only service in Fort St. James), Family Services, Guardianship, and Child/Youth Mental Health (this is through Nechako Valley Community Services Society).

Vanderhoof Health Unit/Mental Health and Addiction Services -
250-567-5994 (Mental Health in Vanderhoof)
Provides mental health and addiction services for youth to adults.

In School

School Principal and Counsellor -
Your school Principal or Vice Principal, School Counsellor, or Classroom Teacher can help direct you to the help you need. A complete list of school contact information is available at

Medical Help

Visit the closest Emergency Room when in crisis or Call 911
St. John Hospital - 250-567-2211 in Vanderhoof has an Emergency Room and doctors at this hospital have direct communication to additional mental health and substance use services.

Omineca Medical Clinic - 250-567-2201
You can make an appointment with your family doctor to discuss any issues you may have. They have the ability to refer you to a pediatrician and/or specialist services outside our community.

Fraser Lake Medical Clinic - 250-699-6225
Located at 130 Chowsunket Street.

Alternative Supports

There are many other ways of addressing mental health and/or substance use issues for youth and parents in our area. Provided here are links to accredited (trained professionals) that provide alternative care, such as exercise (eg. yoga), private councelling, massage, and infant care. More details to come.


Vanderhoof Community


Fraser Lake Community


Fort St. James Community


Home - About - Services - Programs - Youth - Parents - Communities